You are hereHome ›
What is the International Year of Cooperatives?
"Cooperative Enterprises Build a Better World" is the official slogan of the United Nations International Year of Cooperatives in 2012.
Cooperatives and their members around the world will be celebrating and promoting cooperatives in 2012 because of the vital role they play in social and economic development—and meet the daily needs of hundreds of millions of people.
A United Nations International Year of Cooperatives will come only once in our lifetime. It is an unparalleled opportunity to increase the awareness and understanding of cooperative enterprise.
Awareness and Action
The designation of specific International Years by the UN General Assembly aims to bring worldwide recognition to major issues, and to encourage international action to address concerns which have global importance and ramifications.
With the designation of each International Year, the United Nations encourages relevant industry sectors, governments and other partners to recognize and celebrate the Year but also to develop legacy initiatives that will have an impact beyond the end of the Year.
On December 18, 2009, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 2012 as the International Year of Cooperatives. The UN Resolution, “Cooperatives in Social Development,” recognizes the diversity of the cooperative movement around the world and the role of the cooperative business model in achieving economic viability while also contributing social and community benefits.
Three Goals of UN Resolution
The UN resolution contains three goals for the International Year of the Cooperative:
- Increase public awareness about cooperatives and their contributions to socio-economic development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals
- Promote the formation and growth of cooperatives
- Encourage governments to establish policies, laws and regulations conducive to the formation, growth and stability of cooperatives
- Visit the UN's IYC 2012 website for more information.
- You can find additional resources at the Committee for the Promotion and Advancement of Cooperatives. COPAC is a committee made up of the cooperative movement and the United Nations and its agencies.
- What is IYC?
- Be Part of It!
- What is a Co-op?
- Co-ops in the USA