Logo and Theme
The International Co-operative Alliance worked with the UN to create a global logo and one simple slogan for the International Year of Cooperatives.
- Theme: “Cooperative Enterprises Build a Better World.”
- Logo: The IYC 2012 logo evokes the definition of cooperative enterprises as autonomous associations of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations, through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.
- Six languages: The slogan and logo are available in all six official languages of the United Nations: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
Use of Logo and Theme
Cooperatives everywhere are encouraged to use the 2012 logo and slogan by incorporating them into existing communications channels, such as on product packaging, point-of-purchase displays, flyers, email signatures, sales slips and other communications materials.
Any non-UN entity wishing to use the IYC logo for information or fundraising purposes must receive approval for use from the UN IYC Secretariat.
UN Approved Use
Members of the following organizations have received approval from the United Nations for use of the logo:
- National Cooperative Business Association (NCBA)
- National Association of Federal Credit Unions (NAFCU)
- National Association of Students of Cooperation
- NCB (National Cooperative Bank)
- National Cooperative Grocers Association (NCGA)
- National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA)
- US Federation of Worker Cooperatives
Members: If you are a member of one of these organizations, please contact that organization to receive access to the logo. For more information on the eligible authorized uses of the logo, please read very carefully the IYC logo disclaimer and the guidelines for its use. The logo, guidelines for usage, application and waiver are all available at the UN IYC 2012 website.
Non-Members: If you are not a member of one of the above organizations and you wish to use the official logo, you must submit an application for approval to the UN IYC Secretariat and, on approval, must submit a waiver of liability.
- What is IYC?
- Be Part of It!
- What is a Co-op?
- Co-ops in the USA